National Taco Day
Celebrate National Taco Day!
- “Last year Americans ate over 4.5 billion tacos!”
- “That’s 490,000 miles of tacos, which could take you to the moon and back or, if you prefer, could, at 775-million pounds, equal the weight of two Empire State Buildings.”
Source: National Taco Day
How about some fresh seafood tacos? Here’s my favorite recipe.
Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage
- 1 pound medium-sized Florida shrimp, peeled
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups Florida cabbage, shredded
- 2 Florida tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (your favorite)
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- vegetable oil (cooking)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in 300-degree oven.
- Preheat a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice, cumin and hot sauce.
- Stir ingredients to combine.
- Taste, adjusting seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Set aside the yogurt sauce for later.
- Lightly season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the preheated sauté pan.
- Carefully add the seasoned shrimp to the sauté pan.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until completely done throughout.
- Assemble tacos by starting with a tortilla, then layer cabbage, cilantro and tomatoes.
- Place an even portion of shrimp on top of the vegetables.
- Spoon some of the yogurt sauce on top of the shrimp.