Essential Oils for TMJ
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome) is inflammation and tightness of the joint that connects the jaw to the skull.”
“The ability to open the mouth completely can be hampered and the jaw can get “stuck” open or closed. Clicking each time when the mouth is opened is often a frequent symptom of TMJ.”
“TMJ causes include any unusual pressure placed on the jawbone such as habitual gum chewing, grinding of the teeth, and misalignment of the teeth or jaw. If TMJ is severe, it can even cause pain in the neck, shoulder and cause headaches.”
“TMJ is frequently worse with stress where more grinding or clenching of the jaw may occur.”
“The good news is there are natural TMJ treatment home remedies that are highly effective for fast relief.”
- Top Foods for TMJ Diet
“If you want to overcome TMJ, then following a mineral rich anti-inflammatory diet is essential:”
- Foods easy to chew – While there is jaw pain, include foods that are easy to chew such as soups, stews, smoothies or cooked vegetables.
- Small meals – Eat small meals to help stabilize blood sugar. Fluctuations in blood sugar can increase grinding of teeth.
- Wild-caught fish – Omega-3s can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Steamed vegetables – These foods are easy to chew and provide important nutrients for healing.
- Protein shakes – If you have difficulty chewing protein, try for a protein shake instead while the TMJ is flared.
- Magnesium rich foods – Magnesium is known as the relaxation mineral and can release tension in tight muscles.
- Foods to Avoid
- Sugar – Increases inflammation and lowers immune response.
- Caffeine – May increases muscle tension by dehyrating the muscles.
- Alcohol – Increases teeth grinding at night.
- Gum or caramels – Any hard to chew candy can make TMJ worse.
- Tough foods – Be careful with any foods that are difficult to chew, like dry cuts of meat.
Top 5 TMJ Treatment Home Remedies
#1 Magnesium (250 mg 2-3x daily) Helps relax the muscles and nervous system.
#2 Calcium (500 mg 2x daily) Works with magnesium to aid in muscle relaxation.
#3 Kava (70 mg 3x daily) Helps reduce anxiety and relax the muscles.
#4 MSM (1000 mg 3x daily) A natural anti-inflammatory and reduces muscle spasms.